Lately, it has been hot, so I decided to do something that would make life a little easier. I cooked a bunch of different meals in the crock pot, put them into containers, and froze them. That way, when the weather is hot, I wouldn't have to do much cooking.
Then a flyer came in from the local Mexican market.
They had pineapples, plantains, mangoes, watermelon, cucumbers—fresh fruits and vegetables at really good prices. They also had beef shanks. So after the gym, I had my caretaker take me to the store.
I already had plenty of food at home. I had meals in the freezer, food in the refrigerator, and everything I needed. I wasn't going to the store because I was running out of food.
But when I got there, something happened.
I felt happy.
The store was colorful and full of fresh food. I could choose one of this, two of that, three of something else. I wasn't limited to whatever quantity happened to come in a package. I could actually look at what I wanted and decide what I wanted to take home.
There was something really satisfying about that.
And then I saw the tortillas.
They make fresh tortillas right there in the store—both flour and corn. I bought a small package of the street-taco-sized tortillas. They were still warm.
That little package of warm tortillas brought back a memory of my mother. Every once in a while, she would make homemade flour tortillas. I hadn't thought about that in a while, but standing there with those warm tortillas in my hands brought back that feeling.
I came home, put everything away, and felt almost elated.
It wasn't because I suddenly had more food. I already had food.
It was the feeling of abundance.
Not abundance in the sense of having a lot of money or owning a lot of things. It was the feeling of having choices. Of having plenty. Of being able to look around and say, I want this. I want that. I'll take some of these.
And I think I needed that feeling.
I've had a couple of difficult days lately. I've been questioning what I'm doing with my life and what comes next. Sometimes I get caught up in everything that has happened and everything that has changed.
But then I came home with fresh fruit, vegetables, Mexican cheese, tortillas, and chicken for street tacos that night.
And I thought, Wait a minute.
There are still pleasures in life.
There are still things I can look forward to.
There are still new experiences to have, old memories to revisit, good food to eat, places to go, things to create, and moments that can make me genuinely happy.
Maybe I don't have to have all the answers right now.
Maybe I need to remember to live.
To enjoy the warm tortillas.
To make the tacos.
To cut up the pineapple.
To appreciate the colors and smells and flavors.
To notice the little things that make me happy instead of getting so focused on everything that is difficult.
I have been through a lot. My life looks very different than it did before. But that doesn't mean the good parts are over.
There is still plenty of life here.
And there is still plenty of life for me to enjoy.
So before I sit around feeling sorry for myself or wondering what the future is going to look like, maybe I'll make myself some chicken street tacos and remember to be grateful for what is right in front of me.
Sometimes, it really is the simplest things that remind you that you're still living.
If you've been following my journey, you know that rebuilding my life has not been easy. Your support helps me continue moving forward, creating, healing, and finding my way into this next chapter.
If you'd like to be part of my journey, you can support me through my GoFundMe. https://www.gofundme.com/manage/help-me-stay-housed-after-my-accident Every contribution, no matter the size, helps.
resilience, reinvention, gratitude, finding joy, abundance, life after trauma, survivor story, fresh start, overcoming adversity, Jean Marshall


Comments
Post a Comment