Skip to main content

Trending Now: What everyone's reading.

There Is Still Plenty of Life to Live

Lately, it has been hot, so I decided to do something that would make life a little easier. I cooked a bunch of different meals in the crock pot, put them into containers, and froze them. That way, when the weather is hot, I wouldn't have to do much cooking. Then a flyer came in from the local Mexican market. They had pineapples, plantains, mangoes, watermelon, cucumbers—fresh fruits and vegetables at really good prices. They also had beef shanks. So after the gym, I had my caretaker take me to the store. I already had plenty of food at home. I had meals in the freezer, food in the refrigerator, and everything I needed. I wasn't going to the store because I was running out of food. But when I got there, something happened. I felt happy. The store was colorful and full of fresh food. I could choose one of this, two of that, three of something else. I wasn't limited to whatever quantity happened to come in a package. I could actually look at what I wanted and decide what I wa...

Trauma Doesn’t End at the Hospital. Sometimes It Lives in the People Around You.

 

The Invisible Weight of Recovery

People see me walking with a prosthetic and assume I’m getting better.

What they don’t see is everything that is still happening behind the scenes.

Recovery isn’t just physical.

It’s emotional.

It’s mental.

It’s financial.

And sometimes, the people who are supposed to help you end up making your recovery even harder.

I’ve learned that the hard way.

After surviving a near-fatal accident, spending four months in the hospital, losing my right leg below the knee, breaking my pelvis, ribs, wrist, vertebrae, and crushing my left leg, I thought the hardest part would be learning to walk again.

I was wrong.

The hardest part has been carrying everyone else’s mistakes, choices, and stress while trying to heal my own body.

I’ve had caregivers who couldn’t follow simple instructions, showed up late for months, argued instead of taking responsibility, and somehow made everything my fault.

I found myself repeating the same directions over and over again.

“Get the black hanger.”

They would come back with a clear one.

It wasn’t about the hanger.

It was about the mental exhaustion of having to think for another adult when my own brain was already overwhelmed trying to recover from trauma.

It was about having to explain, repeat, remind, and manage when what I needed was support.

Then I found myself in another situation where I was spending more energy managing the help than receiving the help.

And that’s when I realized something:

A caregiver’s job is not just to do tasks.

A caregiver’s job is to reduce the burden.

Because when the person helping you creates more stress, more confusion, and more things for you to manage, your body feels that weight too.

Yesterday was a perfect example.

The plan was simple.

Rake the backyard.

Wash the car.

Take me to the store.

If I were physically able to do it myself, I would have raked the backyard in about 30 minutes, washed the car in another 30 minutes, then gone to the store and back in about an hour and a half.

Three hours.

The whole day would have been done in about three hours.

Instead, it took six and a half hours.

Six and a half hours.

The entire time, my brain never got a break.

What is she doing?

Why is it taking so long?

Why are we still on this?

Why is she doing something I didn’t ask her to do?

Why are we still here?

I have things I need to do.

I have work I want to focus on.

I have a life I’m trying to rebuild.

Instead of moving forward with my day, my energy was spent monitoring, redirecting, and trying to figure out what was happening.

People don’t realize that’s exhausting.

It’s not just the extra hours.

It’s that my brain never gets to shut off.

I’m constantly trying to figure out what’s happening, whether I need to explain something again, whether the priorities are being followed, or whether I should just let it go because I don’t have the energy for another conversation.

When you’re recovering from trauma, every ounce of mental energy matters.

Every decision matters.

Every interruption matters.

Every unnecessary stressor matters.

Then there are the things people don’t see.

The fear of losing my home.

The stress of trying to figure out how I was going to pay rent.

The frustration of waiting months for legal help while my situation became more urgent.

The emotional exhaustion of having to ask for help.

Creating a GoFundMe.

Reaching out to friends and neighbors.

Admitting that I couldn’t do this alone.

That isn’t easy.

People don’t realize how exhausting it is to constantly live in uncertainty.

Every unanswered phone call.

Every delay.

Every promise of “I’m working on it.”

Every time you have to fight for something you desperately need.

That stress doesn’t just stay in your mind.

It lives in your body.

Lately, I’ve been waking up exhausted before my day even starts.

My amputated leg is swollen.

My surgically repaired ankle is swollen.

My body hurts.

Some days I don’t even have the energy to get out of bed.

My body physically cannot take someone else’s chaos anymore.

I can’t keep carrying someone else’s energy while I’m trying to heal my own.

I’ve gotten to the point where I write everything down because it feels like everything I say gets questioned, challenged, forgotten, or turned into a debate.

That is exhausting.

Every conversation takes energy.

Every correction takes energy.

Every misunderstanding takes energy.

Every time I have to repeat myself takes more out of me.

I’m tired.

Not just physically.

Mentally.

Emotionally.

Spiritually.

At first, I wondered what was wrong with me.

Why wasn’t I as motivated?

Why didn’t I want to push harder?

Why didn’t I want to do the things I normally love?

Then I realized something:

I wasn’t failing.

I was overloaded.

I wasn’t losing my drive.

I was carrying too much.

I was trying to cram physical therapy and the gym into two intense days while also dealing with the mental stress of managing everything around me.

My body wasn’t giving up on me.

My body was telling me something needed to change.

So I changed the plan.

Instead of pushing everything into two days, I’m spreading movement throughout the week.

A little every day.

Less intensity.

More consistency.

More recovery.

More time for me.

Because healing isn’t about proving how much pain you can tolerate.

Healing is about learning how to listen to your body.

I’ve spent months pushing through pain because that’s what survivors do.

We keep going.

We adapt.

We figure it out.

But eventually there comes a point where your body says:

“I don’t have anything left to give today.”

I’ve learned something through this experience.

When someone is recovering from major trauma, your words matter.

Your actions matter.

Your attitude matters.

Being late matters.

Not listening matters.

Creating more stress matters.

Because every unnecessary burden you place on someone who is healing is something their body has to carry.

Healing isn’t just about surgeries, medications, and physical therapy.

Healing also requires peace.

It requires safety.

It requires people around you who help carry the weight instead of adding to it.

After everything I’ve survived, I’m learning that protecting my energy is part of my recovery.

I need less chaos.

Less explaining.

Less managing.

Less carrying what isn’t mine.

I need more peace.

More healing.

More space to rebuild.

More me.

And maybe that isn’t selfish.

Maybe that’s exactly what healing looks like.

I’m still rebuilding my life after a devastating accident that left me with a below-knee amputation and a long road of recovery.

If you’d like to help, please click my GoFundMe link and support my journey. Every donation and share helps me continue moving forward. ❤️



trauma recovery, car accident survivor, amputation recovery, prosthetic journey, resilience after trauma, life after amputation, caregiver stress, rebuilding after tragedy, overcoming adversity, survivor story





Comments

Popular Posts

Six Years Ago, I Survived a Stroke. Eleven Months Ago, Everything Changed Again.

I Almost Forgot My S trokeversary đź’” Please read my story, share this post, and help me get the word out.  Yesterday, August 3rd, marked six years since my stroke. I almost forgot. Not because it isn't important, but because I'm carrying so much pain from the injuries I suffered in my car accident on September 6th, 2025, that my stroke anniversary completely slipped my mind. That first year after my stroke, I honestly thought I was going to die every single day. I was constantly dizzy, scared, and didn't know if life would ever feel normal again. I remember telling myself, If I can just make it through the first year, I'll be okay. I had to learn how to walk, talk, and eat without choking all over again. Then came the second year. The third. Things slowly got easier. Life gradually started feeling normal again. I still have deficits—mostly in my left hand and a little weakness on my left side—for the most part, you couldn't really tell when I walked, or at least tha...

Before You Give Advice, Make Sure You Know the Whole Story

  One of the hardest parts of sharing my recovery online isn't the physical therapy, the setbacks, or even learning to walk again. It's the people who think they know my story after watching three seconds of a video. I recently shared my 10-month recovery update as a new below-knee amputee. The video wasn't asking for gait critiques, medical advice, or strangers to analyze my every step. It was documenting where I am in my journey and celebrating a milestone that took months of pain, determination, surgeries, setbacks, and rehabilitation to reach. I was sharing progress. I was sharing hope. I was sharing what it looks like to start rebuilding a life after a catastrophic accident. But instead of people simply celebrating that milestone, some immediately jumped into telling me what I should be doing differently. "Ditch the crutches." "Take gait lessons." "You're going to fall." Here's the problem. They didn't know my story. They didn...

Sometimes the Setbacks Are a Blessing in Disguise

  Sometimes the Setbacks Are a Blessing in Disguise When you’re rebuilding your life after a life-changing accident, every setback feels like another thing being taken away from you. For me, the last few weeks have been incredibly frustrating. I was finally starting to feel more confident using my prosthetic leg. I was making progress. I was walking more, getting stronger, and beginning to feel like I was getting a piece of my independence back. Then came the blood blisters. My amputated leg developed painful blisters, and suddenly I couldn’t wear my prosthetic. I had no choice but to slow down and give my body time to heal. At first, it felt like another obstacle. Another delay. Another reminder that recovery doesn’t happen on my timeline. But something unexpected happened. My remaining leg and ankle finally seemed to have the time they needed to recover. After my ankle surgery to remove three screws and the plate that had been holding my bone together, I had given it about four w...

Don't Borrow Your Dreams from People Who Never Chased Theirs

Don't Let Someone Else's Limited Thinking Become Your Limitations The reason I wrote this piece is not to rant. I recently lost my photography career after a tragic, catastrophic accident where I lost my leg. Now, once again, I'm being forced to reinvent myself. And that's kind of been the theme of my whole life: reinvention and resilience. I mentioned to some of the people closest to me what I wanted to do next, and boy, did they have opinions of their own. Not only am I still healing ten months after my accident, and my body is still going through trauma, but my brain is also forced to figure out what's next. When I told a couple of people what I wanted to do, they shut me down almost instantly. But then I had to think about their lives. All they've ever done was exchange their time for money. They don't understand me. I'm a creative person. I don't punch in and punch out for a J-O-B. So, I'm guarding my plans closely and only sharing them with...