The Setbacks Nobody Warns You About
There are moments in recovery when you think you've finally turned a corner.
A few weeks ago, I left my surgeon's office feeling hopeful. After months of surgeries, healing, and uncertainty, he told me he didn't need to see me anymore for my left leg. It felt like I had finally crossed something off my list.
But what I quickly realized was that being discharged didn't mean I was healed.
It didn't mean my ankle would stop swelling.
It didn't mean the pain would disappear.
It didn't mean I would suddenly regain my mobility or no longer need physical therapy.
And it certainly didn't mean my journey with my prosthetic leg would become easy.
Just when I thought I was making real progress, I developed large blood blisters along my amputation incisions after physical therapy. When I removed my prosthesis, the liner was saturated with blood.
I was devastated.
Not because of the blisters alone, but because they represented yet another unexpected detour on a road that has been filled with them.
People often think recovery is a straight line. They imagine you get surgery, attend physical therapy, work hard, and gradually improve until one day you're "better."
That hasn't been my experience.
Recovery has looked more like this:
One step forward.
Two steps back.
Another surgery.
A new complication.
A small victory.
Another setback.
Then finding the strength to begin again.
What most people don't see is that every setback carries more than physical pain.
It carries disappointment.
It carries fear.
It makes you wonder how many more obstacles are waiting around the corner.
You start asking yourself questions you never wanted to ask.
How much longer will this take?
Will my body ever cooperate?
Am I always going to be fighting something?
The emotional exhaustion can become just as overwhelming as the physical recovery.
The hardest lesson I've learned is that healing doesn't happen because a calendar says enough time has passed.
It doesn't happen because you've been discharged from one doctor.
It doesn't happen because you finally received your prosthetic leg.
Healing happens in layers.
Sometimes one chapter closes while another one is just beginning.
My left leg may no longer need surgery, but it still needs strength, mobility, and time.
My right leg may have a prosthesis, but my residual limb is still teaching me its limits.
Neither leg is following the timeline I imagined.
And that's the part nobody prepares you for.
Recovery isn't measured by the absence of setbacks.
It's measured by your willingness to keep moving forward despite them.
Some days moving forward looks like walking across a therapy gym.
Other days it looks like postponing therapy, letting your body heal, and trusting that resting isn't quitting.
I'm learning that resilience isn't pretending the setbacks don't hurt.
Resilience is allowing yourself to feel the disappointment, adjust the plan, and keep believing there is another step ahead—even when you can't take it today.
If you're navigating your own recovery, whether it's from an injury, surgery, illness, or any unexpected life event, I hope you remember this:
A setback is not the end of your story.
It's simply a reminder that healing isn't linear.
And neither is becoming the person you're meant to be.
If you’d like to support my recovery journey, you can find my GoFundMe here:
amputee recovery, prosthetic journey, physical therapy, life after amputation, trauma recovery, overcoming setbacks, disability journey, resilience story, limb loss recovery, rebuilding after injury





Comments
Post a Comment