Don't Let Someone Else's Limited Thinking Become Your Limitations
The reason I wrote this piece is not to rant.
I recently lost my photography career after a tragic, catastrophic accident where I lost my leg. Now, once again, I'm being forced to reinvent myself. And that's kind of been the theme of my whole life: reinvention and resilience.
I mentioned to some of the people closest to me what I wanted to do next, and boy, did they have opinions of their own.
Not only am I still healing ten months after my accident, and my body is still going through trauma, but my brain is also forced to figure out what's next.
When I told a couple of people what I wanted to do, they shut me down almost instantly.
But then I had to think about their lives. All they've ever done was exchange their time for money. They don't understand me. I'm a creative person. I don't punch in and punch out for a J-O-B.
So, I'm guarding my plans closely and only sharing them with people who understand my vision.
One of the biggest mistakes you can make is sharing your aspirations with people who have never taken a risk.
You tell them you're writing a book, and they respond:
"That's nice. It'll keep you busy."
You tell them you're starting a business.
They make suggestions about things you should do instead, even though you have absolutely no interest in them, and they don't bother to hear you out.
You tell them you're creating online courses, changing careers, or reinventing yourself.
They give you a blank stare like you're crazy.
They're not trying to inspire you. They're trying to make your dreams fit inside the limits of their own imagination.
Most people have been taught to exchange time for money.
Go to work. Clock in. Clock out. Get a paycheck. Repeat until retirement.
There's nothing wrong with that path if it's the life you choose.
But don't expect someone who has never built a business, created a course, written a book, or pursued a dream to understand why you would.
People can only encourage you as far as they've allowed themselves to go.
Sometimes the loudest critics aren't successful people warning you about mistakes. They're people who never tried in the first place.
Don't let someone else's limited thinking become your limitations.
I've seen what happens when people constantly have their dreams dismissed. I've watched someone shoot down ideas, possibilities, and ambitions over and over again. Years later, I look around and see grown adults who never took the chance to build the life they talked about.
Maybe that's not the whole reason, but it certainly didn't encourage them to think bigger.
Be careful who you share your dreams and plans with.
Not everyone has the ability to see what you see. Some people will look at your vision through the lens of their own limitations and try to convince you that something isn't possible simply because they can't imagine it themselves.
Besides that, they don't even understand the magnitude of what you've accomplished.
Some of the things I've done are things they've only seen on television. They've never experienced that world, so they can't even imagine what's possible.
I've already made the intangible tangible multiple times in my lifetime.
I don't have to prove or convince anybody otherwise. My accolades speak for themselves.
If you have an idea or a dream, I say go for it.
Don't listen to the naysayers or let other people's limitations become your own.
Protect your vision. Guard your dreams. Keep building.
You don't need anyone's permission to pursue the life you want to create.
If my story resonates with you and you would like to support me during this transition and healing journey, please consider donating to my GoFundMe. Your support helps me continue rebuilding my life, creating new opportunities, and moving forward as I reinvent myself after this life-changing accident.
resilience, reinvention, overcoming adversity, chasing dreams, personal growth, mindset, creativity, self-belief, overcoming obstacles, life transformation
.jpeg)

Comments
Post a Comment