Skip to main content

Trending Now: What everyone's reading.

There Is Still Plenty of Life to Live

Lately, it has been hot, so I decided to do something that would make life a little easier. I cooked a bunch of different meals in the crock pot, put them into containers, and froze them. That way, when the weather is hot, I wouldn't have to do much cooking. Then a flyer came in from the local Mexican market. They had pineapples, plantains, mangoes, watermelon, cucumbers—fresh fruits and vegetables at really good prices. They also had beef shanks. So after the gym, I had my caretaker take me to the store. I already had plenty of food at home. I had meals in the freezer, food in the refrigerator, and everything I needed. I wasn't going to the store because I was running out of food. But when I got there, something happened. I felt happy. The store was colorful and full of fresh food. I could choose one of this, two of that, three of something else. I wasn't limited to whatever quantity happened to come in a package. I could actually look at what I wanted and decide what I wa...

I Don't Know My Purpose Yet, and That's Okay


I Don't Know My Purpose Yet, and That's Okay

For months, my only job was to survive.

Survive the surgeries. Survive the pain. Survive learning how to live in a body that no longer looked or functioned the way it once did. There wasn't much room for anything else.

But lately, something has changed.

For the first time in a long time, I feel like I'm getting my mind back. I'm reading again. Taking courses. Asking questions. Thinking deeply. Exploring ideas that once seemed out of reach because all my energy was spent simply making it through another day.

And one question keeps coming back to me:

Given that this happened, what do I want to become because of it?

I'm not looking for a perfect answer.

I'm not trying to convince myself that losing my leg was somehow easy or that all suffering has a neat explanation. My body still hurts every day. I have broken bones held together with metal. My scars ache. Recovery is exhausting.

But I refuse to let my mind rot or my spirit drift into darkness.

So instead of asking, "Why did this happen to me?" I'm asking, "What is this experience trying to teach me? What can I learn from it? Who might I become because of it?"

The truth is, I don't know.

And I'm finally okay with not knowing.

Right now, I'm not making decisions. I'm exploring.

One day I'm reading about neuroscience. Another day I'm learning about hypnosis. I've studied NLP, Reiki, coaching, and other healing modalities over the years. Some of it may simply become knowledge that enriches my own life. Some of it may become something bigger.

Lately, hypnosis keeps showing up.

Does that mean it's my calling?

Maybe.

Maybe not.

I don't feel any pressure to decide today.

Instead, I'm opening little doors every day and peeking inside. I'm opening windows to possibilities and paying attention to which ones let in the most light. I'm trusting that what truly belongs in my life will continue to call me back.

Perhaps purpose isn't something we find.

Perhaps it's something that gradually forms as we keep showing up.

So for now, my commitment isn't to a career or a title.

My commitment is to curiosity.

To writing.

To sorting through my thoughts.

To trying things.

To staying open.

Maybe one day I'll look back and realize this accident redirected my entire life toward something I couldn't have imagined.

Or maybe I'll simply become a more compassionate, wiser version of myself because of it.

Either way, I don't need to force the answer.

I just need to keep taking the next step, opening the next door, asking the next question, and trusting that when my calling appears, I'll recognize it.

Until then, this journey itself is enough.

My journey didn't end when I survived the accident—it began. Every day is filled with healing, pain, rehabilitation, and the search for a new purpose. If my story has touched you and you'd like to help me continue rebuilding my life after losing my leg and enduring multiple traumatic injuries, please consider supporting my GoFundMe. Every donation, share, and kind word helps me keep moving forward toward recovery and a future filled with possibility.


finding purpose after trauma, life after amputation, amputee recovery, personal growth after tragedy, healing journey, catastrophic car accident survivor, resilience, overcoming adversity, finding meaning in suffering, post-traumatic growth, rebuilding life after trauma, chronic pain journey, recovery mindset, spiritual growth, self-discovery, hypnosis exploration, NLP, healing after loss, disability awareness, trauma recovery, hope after tragedy, personal transformation, recovery blog, inspirational journey, surviving and thriving, life lessons, searching for purpose, growth through adversity, amputee life, mindset shift


Comments

Popular Posts

Six Years Ago, I Survived a Stroke. Eleven Months Ago, Everything Changed Again.

I Almost Forgot My S trokeversary 💔 Please read my story, share this post, and help me get the word out.  Yesterday, August 3rd, marked six years since my stroke. I almost forgot. Not because it isn't important, but because I'm carrying so much pain from the injuries I suffered in my car accident on September 6th, 2025, that my stroke anniversary completely slipped my mind. That first year after my stroke, I honestly thought I was going to die every single day. I was constantly dizzy, scared, and didn't know if life would ever feel normal again. I remember telling myself, If I can just make it through the first year, I'll be okay. I had to learn how to walk, talk, and eat without choking all over again. Then came the second year. The third. Things slowly got easier. Life gradually started feeling normal again. I still have deficits—mostly in my left hand and a little weakness on my left side—for the most part, you couldn't really tell when I walked, or at least tha...

Before You Give Advice, Make Sure You Know the Whole Story

  One of the hardest parts of sharing my recovery online isn't the physical therapy, the setbacks, or even learning to walk again. It's the people who think they know my story after watching three seconds of a video. I recently shared my 10-month recovery update as a new below-knee amputee. The video wasn't asking for gait critiques, medical advice, or strangers to analyze my every step. It was documenting where I am in my journey and celebrating a milestone that took months of pain, determination, surgeries, setbacks, and rehabilitation to reach. I was sharing progress. I was sharing hope. I was sharing what it looks like to start rebuilding a life after a catastrophic accident. But instead of people simply celebrating that milestone, some immediately jumped into telling me what I should be doing differently. "Ditch the crutches." "Take gait lessons." "You're going to fall." Here's the problem. They didn't know my story. They didn...

Sometimes the Setbacks Are a Blessing in Disguise

  Sometimes the Setbacks Are a Blessing in Disguise When you’re rebuilding your life after a life-changing accident, every setback feels like another thing being taken away from you. For me, the last few weeks have been incredibly frustrating. I was finally starting to feel more confident using my prosthetic leg. I was making progress. I was walking more, getting stronger, and beginning to feel like I was getting a piece of my independence back. Then came the blood blisters. My amputated leg developed painful blisters, and suddenly I couldn’t wear my prosthetic. I had no choice but to slow down and give my body time to heal. At first, it felt like another obstacle. Another delay. Another reminder that recovery doesn’t happen on my timeline. But something unexpected happened. My remaining leg and ankle finally seemed to have the time they needed to recover. After my ankle surgery to remove three screws and the plate that had been holding my bone together, I had given it about four w...

Don't Borrow Your Dreams from People Who Never Chased Theirs

Don't Let Someone Else's Limited Thinking Become Your Limitations The reason I wrote this piece is not to rant. I recently lost my photography career after a tragic, catastrophic accident where I lost my leg. Now, once again, I'm being forced to reinvent myself. And that's kind of been the theme of my whole life: reinvention and resilience. I mentioned to some of the people closest to me what I wanted to do next, and boy, did they have opinions of their own. Not only am I still healing ten months after my accident, and my body is still going through trauma, but my brain is also forced to figure out what's next. When I told a couple of people what I wanted to do, they shut me down almost instantly. But then I had to think about their lives. All they've ever done was exchange their time for money. They don't understand me. I'm a creative person. I don't punch in and punch out for a J-O-B. So, I'm guarding my plans closely and only sharing them with...