Skip to main content

Trending Now: What everyone's reading.

There Is Still Plenty of Life to Live

Lately, it has been hot, so I decided to do something that would make life a little easier. I cooked a bunch of different meals in the crock pot, put them into containers, and froze them. That way, when the weather is hot, I wouldn't have to do much cooking. Then a flyer came in from the local Mexican market. They had pineapples, plantains, mangoes, watermelon, cucumbers—fresh fruits and vegetables at really good prices. They also had beef shanks. So after the gym, I had my caretaker take me to the store. I already had plenty of food at home. I had meals in the freezer, food in the refrigerator, and everything I needed. I wasn't going to the store because I was running out of food. But when I got there, something happened. I felt happy. The store was colorful and full of fresh food. I could choose one of this, two of that, three of something else. I wasn't limited to whatever quantity happened to come in a package. I could actually look at what I wanted and decide what I wa...

From international modeling and world travel to surviving stroke, cancer, and amputation—a story of resilience, reinvention, and rebuilding.

 


Jean Marshall Runway Show Reel

I didn't live my life the way most people do—I lived it in reverse.

While most people are grinding their way through life, waiting for retirement so they can finally travel, I was already doing it. Modeling took me all over the world—living in Milan, working across Europe, spending months in Tokyo, and getting to experience places like the Maldives, Seychelles, Morocco, Acapulco, Cabo San Lucas, and Key West. I even lived in Miami for six months back in the 80s, during the city's wild, electric glory days.

I didn't wait for life to start.

I was in it.

I got paid to travel. Paid to step into beauty. Luxury hotels, incredible restaurants, first-class flights, Michelin-star dining—yeah, I lived that life. And I did it when I was young, strong, and fully in my body.

And let's be real—I had a lot of fucking fun.

Then life decided to throw some shit my way.

At 54, I had a stroke. A few years later, I faced basal cell cancer. And now at 60, I'm learning how to live life missing a leg.

And if I'm being honest, one of the hardest parts isn't the physical recovery.

For most of my life, my body was my livelihood. I was literally paid to use it. Modeling opened doors, took me around the world, and gave me opportunities I never could have imagined.

So going from that reality to looking down and seeing a missing leg and a body covered in scars has been a harsh truth to face.

There are days when I barely recognize the person staring back at me.

Not because I'm less than I was.

But because I've had to learn that my value was never in my appearance, my legs, or my ability to fit into a photograph.

That's a lesson life has been determined to teach me, whether I wanted to learn it or not.

Some days I look at everything I've been through and think, seriously? How much is one person supposed to take?

But here's the thing—I didn't waste my life waiting for "someday."

I lived it.

Fully.

I got experiences most people only dream about—and I got to have them when I could actually enjoy them, not when my body was tired and my time was limited.

And even after I walked away from modeling, life didn't suddenly downgrade on me. Through photography, I was still welcomed into beautiful spaces, still working with amazing people, still being treated with respect, generosity, and kindness.

I may have stepped out of the spotlight, but I was never reduced.

So no—don't feel sorry for me.

I've had a hell of a life.

And I'm not done.

This chapter is different. It's slower. It's quieter. And yeah, it's a lot harder in some ways. But it's also deeper.

Because now I'm stepping into something that actually means more. Healing. Coaching. Teaching. Maybe speaking. Maybe helping other people navigate their own storms.

Something that uses everything I've lived through.

Not just the beautiful parts.

The messy bits too.

The pain.

The fear.

The rebuilding.

The "how the hell am I still standing?" moments.

All of it.

Because that's where the real story is.

And if I've learned anything, it's this—

I don't break.

I rebuild.

Right now, I'm raising funds through my GoFundMe to help with my recovery, mobility, prosthetic-related expenses, and rebuilding my life after amputation.

If my story has touched you, I would be grateful for your support. And if you're not in a position to donate, sharing my GoFundMe and my story can help more than you know.

Every share expands the possibility that it reaches the right person at the right time.

Thank you for following my journey, for cheering me on, and for believing that even life's hardest chapters can become the beginning of something new.


life lived in reverse, international modeling, luxury travel, travel stories, Milan model, Tokyo travel, luxury lifestyle, stroke survivor, cancer survivor, life after amputation, resilience, rebuilding life, personal transformation, women over 60, healing journey, spiritual growth, overcoming adversity, reinvention, photography career, world traveler, survivor mindset, inspirational story, recovery journey, personal growth, unbreakable spirit



Comments

Popular Posts

Six Years Ago, I Survived a Stroke. Eleven Months Ago, Everything Changed Again.

I Almost Forgot My S trokeversary 💔 Please read my story, share this post, and help me get the word out.  Yesterday, August 3rd, marked six years since my stroke. I almost forgot. Not because it isn't important, but because I'm carrying so much pain from the injuries I suffered in my car accident on September 6th, 2025, that my stroke anniversary completely slipped my mind. That first year after my stroke, I honestly thought I was going to die every single day. I was constantly dizzy, scared, and didn't know if life would ever feel normal again. I remember telling myself, If I can just make it through the first year, I'll be okay. I had to learn how to walk, talk, and eat without choking all over again. Then came the second year. The third. Things slowly got easier. Life gradually started feeling normal again. I still have deficits—mostly in my left hand and a little weakness on my left side—for the most part, you couldn't really tell when I walked, or at least tha...

Before You Give Advice, Make Sure You Know the Whole Story

  One of the hardest parts of sharing my recovery online isn't the physical therapy, the setbacks, or even learning to walk again. It's the people who think they know my story after watching three seconds of a video. I recently shared my 10-month recovery update as a new below-knee amputee. The video wasn't asking for gait critiques, medical advice, or strangers to analyze my every step. It was documenting where I am in my journey and celebrating a milestone that took months of pain, determination, surgeries, setbacks, and rehabilitation to reach. I was sharing progress. I was sharing hope. I was sharing what it looks like to start rebuilding a life after a catastrophic accident. But instead of people simply celebrating that milestone, some immediately jumped into telling me what I should be doing differently. "Ditch the crutches." "Take gait lessons." "You're going to fall." Here's the problem. They didn't know my story. They didn...

Sometimes the Setbacks Are a Blessing in Disguise

  Sometimes the Setbacks Are a Blessing in Disguise When you’re rebuilding your life after a life-changing accident, every setback feels like another thing being taken away from you. For me, the last few weeks have been incredibly frustrating. I was finally starting to feel more confident using my prosthetic leg. I was making progress. I was walking more, getting stronger, and beginning to feel like I was getting a piece of my independence back. Then came the blood blisters. My amputated leg developed painful blisters, and suddenly I couldn’t wear my prosthetic. I had no choice but to slow down and give my body time to heal. At first, it felt like another obstacle. Another delay. Another reminder that recovery doesn’t happen on my timeline. But something unexpected happened. My remaining leg and ankle finally seemed to have the time they needed to recover. After my ankle surgery to remove three screws and the plate that had been holding my bone together, I had given it about four w...

Don't Borrow Your Dreams from People Who Never Chased Theirs

Don't Let Someone Else's Limited Thinking Become Your Limitations The reason I wrote this piece is not to rant. I recently lost my photography career after a tragic, catastrophic accident where I lost my leg. Now, once again, I'm being forced to reinvent myself. And that's kind of been the theme of my whole life: reinvention and resilience. I mentioned to some of the people closest to me what I wanted to do next, and boy, did they have opinions of their own. Not only am I still healing ten months after my accident, and my body is still going through trauma, but my brain is also forced to figure out what's next. When I told a couple of people what I wanted to do, they shut me down almost instantly. But then I had to think about their lives. All they've ever done was exchange their time for money. They don't understand me. I'm a creative person. I don't punch in and punch out for a J-O-B. So, I'm guarding my plans closely and only sharing them with...